FINDINGS AND RECOMMENDATIONS
I. Common topics
1. Legislation to combat racism and racial discrimination
– Protocol No. 12 to the European Convention on Human Rights
1. The Estonian authorities have informed ECRI that they require more time to assess the impact of ratification of Protocol No. 12. ECRI notes that the Protocol, which lays down a general prohibition of discrimination, was adopted on 4 November 2000. ECRI believes that this instrument is an essential component of the fight against racism and racial discrimination.
2. ECRI again recommends that the authorities ratify Protocol No. 12 to the European Convention on Human Rights as soon as possible.
Civil and administrative law
11. In its 4 th report, ECRI noted the entry into force on 1 January 2009 of the Equal Treatment Act, concluding that it was broadly in keeping with GPR No. 7. However, ECRI observed that the prohibition of discrimination based on religion or other beliefs did not extend to social protection, education or to access to and supply of public goods and services, and that the Equal Treatment Act did not prohibit discrimination based on citizenship or language, and recommended that the authorities take action to address these shortcomings.11
11 §§ 51 and 52 of the 4th report on Estonia.
Document data: CRI(201 5)36 Adopted 16.06.2015, public 13.10.2015. Link: https://rm.coe.int/fifth-report-on-estonia/16808b56f1 Also available in French https://rm.coe.int/cinquieme-rapport-sur-l-estonie/16808b56f3 and Estonian https://rm.coe.int/fifth-report-on-estonia-estonian-translation-/16808b56f2